Τετάρτη 21 Αυγούστου 2019

Lilly Kotsu from Melbourne, Australia

Florina, 12/08/19
I would like to say a very big “thank you” to the Florina Hospital (Pathology Ward), to all the doctors and staff who showed me kindness and care at a very difficult and challenging time while my husband George was in hospital after his stroke.
I feel compelled to share my story with you all as I have gained a newfound strength through this experience. On the very first day in hospital, while sitting besides my husband, trying to conjure up strength within me to be brave and strong for George, I looked up at the Icon on the wall that was opposite Georges bed. It was as if the Icon of Agia Panagia (which I didn’t know at the time) was speaking out to me, because as I looked up at it, I could only see her two arms reaching out to me and the rest of the features of the Icon were a blur. I approached the Icon and put my hand on it and I asked, “Please send me a sign that I have your guiding help and that I am not here on my own”. I desperately needed help! I didn’t know the language and trying to communicate with the doctors and nurses was extremely hard. I was besides myself with worry! Just as all these thoughts were going through my head and secretly praying for help to appear, a lady walked through the door. Her name was Alexandra Vakitsidis from Adelaide, South Australia. The first thing she said was hello, her name and “I am here to help you”. The nurse, Elpitha Ioakimidou, from the ward knew Alexandra and asked her to come and help George and Lilly. Alexandra assured me that she will do everything in her power to help get George back to Melbourne, Australia. Alexandra also asked Vicky to come and help with the tele-communications with Daniel and Katie, my children back home in Australia. Vicky was the communication portal between us here in Greece and my children back home.
Again I would like to sincerely give my gratitude to all the doctors and nursing staff in the Florina Hospital for all that they have done to help my husband and I get through this challenging time.